Tips on painting my boat deck

Här ställer du frågor om båtvård, renovering, motor, el mm
Skriv svar
sme1972
Rookie

Tips on painting my boat deck

Inlägg av sme1972 » tor 02 jun 2022, 14:53

Hey,
Anyone answering this can do it in Swedish or English, but I write better in English
Anyhow, i just bought a 28 ft snipa with a great motor but cosmetically she needs a lot of work.

I will be painting all the old sections that used to have grey paint.
You can see in my attached pictures what it looks like everywhere right now
I am not very pedantic. I want it to look nice and last a few years, but I am not a perfectionist.

My wish is to be able to do this over maximum 3 warm days, but that is just my wish right now.

My idea for prep work is:
I will give it a good wash/scrub with soap and water, go over briefly with acetone on all the areas and then tape up the lines and then I was just going to paint. It will be grey again most likely.

I have many questions.
-Is my prep work good enough that I mentioned?
-It seems like everywhere except the section with skylight have slip protection already in the construction in fiberglass. If I want nonslip or at least decent grip on wet deck, do I need paint with slip protection paint also?
-Do I need to use grundfärg? I don't want a shiny finish.
-Do I need to remove the tape after every application of paint  and then put down new tape each time. 
-Do I use 1 komponent, 2 komponent, osv...
-Do I apply paint with roller or brush (or both), etc...

I am on a budget, so not looking for most expensive paint but not crap either. Any tips on which paint to use would be appreciated,

I am looking for someone who just says do this, this and this in a certain order, and I will listen to you !

Thanks in advance
Scott
Bilagor
IMG_0978.png
IMG_0977.png
IMG_0976.png

Användarvisningsbild
Anders S
Diamantmedlem

Re: Tips on painting my boat deck

Inlägg av Anders S » fre 03 jun 2022, 14:35

Welcome to the forum!

I think you have a very doable plan:

Firstly, clean surfaces are mandatory, Light sanding and thorough cleaning will probably do well, but keep in mind that any new paint will stick only as good as the paint below. Dont go wild with sanding, to keep anti slip pattern alive... :-) A brush, even careful use of a CLEAN wire brush could be useful if the anti slip pattern is in good shape - you want to clean the hollows, not cutting the tops.

Any decent deck paint will do, but two-pot urethane paint will be a little more durable. Downside is that two-pot isn't really a deck paint, and glossy is not good in this application. So, one-pot decK paint is my recommendation. Anti slip glass beads could be worthwhile even on the diamond pattern (?) already there.

You will want to make at least two applications of paint. If you are quick (weather permitting), there is low stick, UV tolerant, masking tape that can be used for a few consecutive days.

Gloss is detrimental to function here, so you can use a smooth roller (felt). Keep cleaning rags and some paint thinner handy, if you roll outside of the tape boundary (Why do i know that... ? )
Anders S

sme1972
Rookie

Inlägg av sme1972 » fre 03 jun 2022, 14:58

Thanks so much. Do i need to put down a primer or grundfärg first.
Do you have any recommendation of paint brands to use

Scott

Användarvisningsbild
Anders S
Diamantmedlem

Inlägg av Anders S » lör 04 jun 2022, 09:50

Vi provar med "Svenska för ny-boerghare"... :-)

Jag tror "Interdeck kan bli bra". https://www.international-yachtpaint.co ... 190610.pdf

På en sliten båt som är tidigare målad hade jag vågat måla ovanpå befintlig färg, om den gamla färgen sitter fast.
Anders S

sme1972
Rookie

Inlägg av sme1972 » lör 04 jun 2022, 14:39

Tack. det var precis denna halkskydd färg jag hade tänkt. Jag kanske kör med ett lager grund färg först. Det värsta kommer vara förberedelsen. Lika bra ta en dag till för måla och gör ”bättre jobb”

omega
Diamantmedlem

Inlägg av omega » tis 07 jun 2022, 06:16

Hej
just på däcket kan du använda Kiwigrip, en färg som många använder med gott resultat. https://www.happyyachting.com/kiwigrip- ... gKziPD_BwE

vill man ha en riktigt bra färg så kan man ju välja från denna leverantör

https://www.de-ijssel-coatings.se/?gcli ... gIUVvD_BwE

Skriv svar